Sunday, March 21, 2010

From a Fathers Eyes...

Today I held Parker for the first time while the NICU nurse changed out his bed linen and switched over a few of his lines. I cannot begin to express the emotions that I experienced during the short period of time that it took for his nurse to complete her tasks. It will definitely be etched in my memory as one of the most emotional moments of my life. It has been four LONG days since Parker was wisked from the delivery suite to the nursery then to a Helicopter for his flight to UVA. The only contact I have had up to this point was holding his tiny hand while feeling completely helpless by his side. Today was also special for me as he opened his eyes for a brief moment and we looked into each others eyes and created that father -son bond that I have so desperately needed. I have up to this point withheld most of my emotion in order to stay strong for my wife and family. It was today that allowed me to let my guard down slightly and decompress most of my anxiety and emotion which has taken much of the weight from my shoulders. I know this is just the beginning to a long road ahead but each day seems to be getting slightly easier for me. I dream of the day that I can take Parker home to hug and kiss him at will as I do with Spencer. Parker will get the same daddy to son talk that I have given Spencer which is that I will never get tired of telling him I love him even if it embarasses him in front of his buddies ! Each day continues to bring a new challange but also a new milestone and victory......

Please excuse my grammar and spelling as I am exhausted.

7 comments:

  1. Jeff, Jen, and Britton Family:

    Just want you guys to know that the RMH EP Lab are thinking about you daily! Little Parker Liam is so precious!! Please know that we are ALL praying for Parker and your family.

    Love,
    Amber Kendall, RMH EP Lab

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, you, Jenny and Spencer are in my prayers. Parker is beautiful. I know the Good Lord is in control and is taking care of you all. Please, please let us know if we can do anything to help.
    Love, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to hear of all of the wonderful progress that Parker is making. All of the Penningtons have him in our prayers. Please let me know if there is anything we can do.

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a good friend of Skip's and have known some members of the Warden and Crane families for years. Thanks to you and Jenni for keeping this blog and sharing with us. Parker is gorgeous, God will continue performing His miracle on this precious child. I am praying for Parker and the entire family. Thank you for sharing your most private thoughts and emotions,it brings me to tears that we take life for granted so much of the time. God is holding Parker in the palm of His hand.

    Carolyn Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to hear Parker has been making progress. We're sending up prayers for Parker everyday and keeping you all in our thoughts constantly. May God bless you and keep you during this difficult time, and may He give Parker the strength to recover fully. We love you all.

    Barbara and Kenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Jennifer, Jeff, and family,

    Joel and I want you to know that all our love and prayers are with you all as you follow this journey. Been keeping in touch with V and Deb and just now have read your blog. What a lucky little boy to have the love and support of such amazing parents and extended family and friends. Know that we hold you both so close and will spread the word for prayers for that precious Parker! He is absolutely beautiful and I truly believe in the miracle of prayer...especially for such a deserving angel.

    With warm wishes for positive steps,

    Cheryl and Joel Conner

    ReplyDelete
  7. jeff, you are a great guy. not only is jenny lucky to have you, but spencer and parker will grow up to know that their dad is there for them every step of the way. thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. very touching to read this.

    ReplyDelete