Friday, March 19, 2010

First email about Parker - Thursday, March 18, 2010

Below is a copy of an email Jeff sent to his co-workers today about the current condition of our new baby boy, Parker. I'm sorry that I have to communicate through Jeff- but I'm just not up to making phone calls yet. We just got back from visiting Parker and he continues to make improvements tonight. Although this is truly the hardest experience of my life, I continue to live in faith and know the Lord will provide. I am also blessed with the love and support of my husband. Jeff has been the rock holding our tiny family together. I certainly could not have made it without him. Please continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers. We hope to start a blog to keep everyone up to date. Until then, thank you again for your love and support.

Jen
PS- I have attached a picture of Parker. It was taken before his small set back today- but he's still as gorgeous as ever!
*********************************
All,
I have a few minutes of downtime and wanted to send a quick update regarding Parker. It has been a very draining few days, both mentally and physically, but Jennifer and I are standing tall and strong. As many of you know Parker was born 12:58 pm Wednesday weighing 6 lbs 15oz. Initially all looked ok except for his lack of a cry. As the next few minutes passed I quickly realized something was different as he became quite pale with O2 SATS in the 70-80 range on blow-by O2. He was then taken to the nursery where he was assessed in detail. My first impression and the pediatricians was that he obviously had some sort of congenital heart defect so the Roanoke Mem transport team was requested. Upon their arrival Parker continued to decompensate. The plan was to take him downtown and do an echo. I personally thought this was not an option since they do not have pediatric cardiac surgery- so I requested air transport to UVA which turned out to be a very wise decision. Before his departure I found out that he was critically acidotic which made me glad I insisted on air rather than ground transport. When Parker arrived at UVA he seemed to stabilize after a bicarb infusion and intubation. I arrived approx an hour after he did and was greeted by John Quigley, which was a very welcome site! John was extremely helpful expediting my direction to the NICU and certainly streamlined the process to get signed into the hospital. The resident at UVA basically stated that my persistence to use air transport may have saved my child’s life in lieu of his acidosis (6.84 pH). I stayed with him late into the night but quickly accepted that my exhaustion, after being awake for 34 hrs, was not going to help Parker. I was impressed to see that not only had John waited for me but Jeff Snyder had also arrived to ck in on Parker. So the guys helped me find a place to stay and get cleaned up. I returned to Parker around 9am this morning to find the he had extubated himself and was actually doing much better than the night before, which left a HUGE smile on my face. So I went to grab a bite to eat and a cup of caffeine. When I returned to the NICU I was shocked to find Parker surrounded by approx 10 staff members which made my heart drop. The chief resident came over to me to inform me that Parker had a pulseless VT arrest that they were able to correct fairly quickly but was none the less alarming. The next hour or so was filled with both fear and anxiety but lucky for me, Jessica Kiernan arrived to offer her support which I will never be able to express how comforting and grateful I was for this gesture. So as of right now Parker is doing better and seems to be stabile for all that he has been through but remains critical at this point.

What I know so far….
~ All heart structures are present and accounted for.
~ His pH is trending toward normal
~ He has pulmonary hypertension (But is better than yesterday)
~ Right and Left Ventricles appear to be contracting weakly (Also shows improvement from yesterday)
~ Re-Intubated but is on minimal settings.
~ He has a Patent ductus arteriosus (seems to be closing)

On Deck for tonight and tomorrow….
~ 12 Hr EEG
~ Follow up echo
~ MRI of the brain

Jennifer was discharged today from Lewis Gale and was brought to UVA by her sister to be with us. She is still recovering but very relieved to be here. Spencer is back in Salem with my mom and dad and is rambunctious as usual. I certainly miss him and call to hear his voice a few times a day.

Unfortunately at this time the Dr’s do not have a clue what is going on with Parker to create the issues he continues to overcome. I will try to keep you all up to date with his condition as the hours seem to be creeping by slowly. All we ask is that you not worry about us but instead focus that energy in Parker's direction as he needs all the thoughts and prayers he can get.

Jennifer and I certainly will never be able to express our gratitude for all your kind words and thoughts….. And personally I cannot tell you how great it feels to have friends and co workers like all of you who have shared your thoughts , prayers and comfort for myself and my family.

Jeff Britton
Sales Representative
Cardiac Rhythm Management Division